Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Hike Hike Hike!!!

For a great saturday activity I suggest a hike up and around Mt. Laulau ^_^ I can almost guarentee that you'll feel like a NEW person after that hike. New and exhuasted ^^ anyway, jokes aside. Imagine, walking up a steep hill, there are trees all around you so you have something sturdy to hold onto making falls less hazardous to your general wellbeing. Now, imagine that those trees don't last for very long. Stepping out of the trees you will suddenly find yourself with an unobstructed view of Laulau Bay. The relentless sun beating down on after the cool shade of the trees. Thigh high sear grasses and other sticklers covering large expanses of the hillside. And the burnt remains of the past still in evidence. I looked out on this scene and wondered. Wondered how long it would take for this man-influenced savannah to recover from its razing. Though there was a quiet beauty to the hillside, it was a dangerous beauty. Not an immediate danger, as I learned, but a real one none-the-less.
From what Angelo, our guide, said there should have been more trees growing. What actually took root does not look enough to prevent a runoff and other landslides. Hopefully, the kiddies that are going to be planting will have more flora that takes and florishes in the hydrophobic land. But, I only thought of this once I was able to find some shade to hide under. I can honestly admit that the hike exhausted me and the heat was not fun either ^_^ but, it was not intolerable...just not fun. The heat, not the hike. The hike is a good form of exercise. Go sometime.

2 comments:

Angelo Villagomez said...

glad you had fun

Bree Reynolds said...

if you want to hike at other places let me know.

What is a mangrove?

About Me

Not much to say. I'm a fairly predictable girl, with fairly predictable needs and wants. That also happens to be somewhat essentric ^^